Week 5 - Game Vision Statement

In this blog, I'll be discussing my ideas and vision for my game. I went through all game ideas I had come up with and decided to go with the mixology game. I felt like because it was quite a loose, basic idea that I had more options available so if one idea can't be done, I could definitely find another idea that could work. I discussed different options I might implement in my blog post last week and then thought about them through the week, looking at different resources that may help me out. This is a brief analysis of what my game would be like. 

I considered two genres for my game - POV and RPG. It boils down to the views in its simplest form. I chose POV because there is no character in my game. You play as yourself. I did consider including a bartender character that follows your clicks and grabs the ingredients for you or gives hints, but I think that would be beyond my own knowledge, skills and ability. I've decided to keep it basic for now and if I can expand when I get to it then that's fine, I can add those things then. For now, it'll be simple so it can remain doable and to me, picking the POV option keeps it simple. 

So the game will begin with a randomized drink name popping up on screen. No recipe or hints would be given. This would mean I'd have to choose drinks that don't have any of their ingredients in the name, ie. strawberry daiquiri, for example. Then the player will see an array of ingredients with their names displayed too. I was thinking about dividing it into spirits, mixers, garnishes, etc so that the screen isn't too full. Then a timer would begin and the player would have to select the correct ingredients. If time is up before the right ingredients are selected, the game ends. If the correct ingredients are selected, the player will progress to the mixing level. The player then has to add all ingredients in the correct order to make the perfect drink. If they aren't in the right order, the player fails. 



I chose for the game to follow this as I think it has what I consider the main parts of a game - a dilemma, a journey and a solution. Even if it's in a different display to what I'm used to, this also isn't a PlayStation game (also yes, I'm PlayStation over XBOX). I think it's manageable and as I said above, if I pick up other skills or see other useful tutorials, then I can implement those things later on in the development if it's possible and fits the idea.

I will need different kinds of resources throughout this game. I firstly looked into making an RPG game in Unity. I found several tutorials - youtube/gamesplusjames, a useful tutorial that talks through the creation of a 3D game. Although it's for an RPG, I think it will be useful for any game creation. I think the visuals and play-by-play directions will be helpful. I also found one on learn.unity.com which is great because we already are planning to use Unity to create our game so nothing should be unfamiliar to me. I also found a reddit thread where people with varying experience discuss what you should know about creating a game and what you can use to help you. I found it on r/Unity3D, which would be a great resource in itself. 

I would also need to make sure my recipes are correct so that people could get them right instead setting them up to fail from the beginning. The IBA lists and categorizes official cocktails on this website thebarcabinet.com and wikipedia lists all ingredients required in each of these cocktails. I will select my recipes from thebarcabinet.com and then use Wikipedia to select the ingredients. 

They are the main resources I can think of but as the unity tutorials continue, I may find gaps that I need to fill in and will update this blog or add an update when I get to that. I'm hoping to further expand with the tutorials I found listed in the resources paragraph. Again, I'm unsure of the following content I'll get through Unity so these resources may be helpful or possibly already covered.

I have no real further comments. I'm hoping to put a list together with the drinks I select. I'm going to try and keep the ingredients list small enough so it's doable but large enough so that it's a challenge. I'm hoping to pick 5-7 recipes to use and if time and skills allow for it, maybe more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post - I want to talk about music today

Week 4 - Game Idea Research

Week 18 - Reading