Week 08 - First Playable

I had a bit more success this week! After not being able to access the timer resource we were given, I looked for others. The first one I used didn't work. I think now I know what was wrong with it but it wasn't mentioned in the video so I can't be one hundred percent sure either. There was a Text option in the script but this didn't show up in Unity, however, after completing a different tutorial and seeing how that worked, I think it should have been textDisplay. Again, just a guess for me and I deleted it sadly so I have no way of knowing. 

The third tutorial that I followed was a success, finally. It took a bit of pausing and going back to try and keep up but I did get it in the end, which I'm really happy with. The countdown timer only goes to 59 seconds, which is fine for now, but I may try and work around but it would mean coding some if statements to set up minutes instead of seconds, or I could just say 120 seconds.


While I was thinking about the creation of my game, I've decided to peel it back a bit more and if I have the time, build on it. So, while it has the same idea, I'm going to be using tutorials geared towards quiz games that are true or false. To me, it seems the most accessible while also being the same idea. I may not have bottles and garnish animations but the idea is still solid and there.

I found a tutorial with YouTube user Brackeys. He has a series of videos creating quiz games, as well as materials and packages that aren't necessary but are helpful.

I started off by creating my question panel and then making the buttons too. I have the bar scene in the background already so it still has the bar feel to it. If I have time and enough skill, I may try to add some kind of jazzy bar music in too to add to the atmosphere and counterbalance the fact that bottles, glasses and garnishes are missing. Since I've found something consistent, being created by the same person, I'm hoping it will make everything flow better.

Comments

  1. Hey Rosie,
    I just finished reading your blog post and it sounds like your flying along with your porotype. I think peeling elements of your game back is a smart decision because it's better to have a working game that maybe has missing visual elements than a looks amazing visually but doesn't function at all. I'm glad that you got the timer working even if you still have work to do on it. I am wondering will the jazz be like a soft quite sound in the background or will it be very easily noticeable. Hope all is going well with your development.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie, I like your game idea, it sounds interesting and unique. I totally agree with you, Unity tutorial its not the best teaching system at all, and thanks for sharing Brackeys tutorial with us. I will use it in future. Wishing you all the best with your game project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post - I want to talk about music today

Week 4 - Game Idea Research

Week 18 - Reading